Friday, March 23, 2012

Our Hunger Games Experience

Just to be clear, this is NOT my review of The Hunger Games!  I have several friends who have not seen it yet.  This is just our experience last night.

In all honesty, it could have been much worse.  We got to the theater a few hours in advance to reserve our seats, went to dinner and returned to the theater about an hour before the movie just to avoid long lines for popcorn and a sea of people who can't seem to remember you have assigned seats so there's no reason to be stepping all over each other.

Those of you who know me know I am not a jerk.  I don't put people in their place just to achieve some false sense of dominance.  However, once the doors opened and we were migrating to the usher this group of high school-aged kids come shoving through the crowd, arms hooked together like a train saying "There's 6 of us!  'Scuse, 'scuse, there's 6 of us."  So I cut them off in the middle, quite miffed because one of those little turds caused me and the CHILD behind me to spill drink and popcorn, and say "YOU can wait!" and the guy behind me says "and maybe apologize to my child you stepped on to get here."  There were more exchanges between the teens and the parent along the lines of "Our friend has our tickets, though."  "Your friend will still have your ticket when you guys get up there.  This is not a concert, you don't need to be charging the crowd like you're trying to get to the front of a stage."  I stayed out of it, it was a pretty civil conversation.

Moving on to the couple sitting next to us.  This guy was ridiculous!  One of those LOUD commentators and has to go "oooooooooo!!!" every time something remotely dramatic happens or "HO-HO SHIT!  DAAAAAAMN!" during the fighting scenes.  Trust me, I totally understand people just have reactions sometimes.  But this was every - single - time.  A couple of times he did crack Chris and me up, though.  ***SPOILER: If you haven't read the book skip to the next paragraph***  When Katniss finds Peeta but he's all blended in with the surroundings the guy next to us (I'm cracking up as I'm typing this) goes "WHOA!  What tha fahhhck?"  That's me trying to portray his accent hahaha but I died laughing because it almost had a Fozzy Bear sound to it.

The only thing that kept us from choking the people next to us was the couple behind us.  I am, unfortunately, going to have to bring my dear mother into this.  My mom will do this thing where she thinks she's whispering but, in fact, she's just talking really low at a normal volume about the person right in front of her.  (Sorry, Mom haha)  That is what this couple would do.  CONSTANTLY TALKING like they were the only ones in that theater.  Several times they got the warning look from Chris.  You know what I'm talking about.  The one where you just turn around and stare at them.  They'd be phased for like a minute and then go on explaining to one another what is happening.  At one point I looked over at Chris and I go "seriously, I'm going to lose it if they don't stop."  So Chris, as nicely as he could manage at that point, turns around and says "could you guys please whisper. thanks."  There was still a crap load of talking but we could tell they were at least trying to be quieter so we just tried really hard to ignore it.

My final annoyance, which really wasn't as bad as anticipated, the family in front of us bringing their toddler and a baby.  Chris and I genuinely try to be as patient as we can with those situations because we understand really wanting to see a highly anticipated movie opening night (i.e. Harry Potter, Sex and the City haha just me on that last one) and sometimes you just can't find child care.  But it was like this baby knew what was up.  During any intense quiet scene or a dramatic no dialogue part this little babe would start crying haha  but compared to Chatty Cathy and Fozzy Bear it was a mild distraction.

Those of you who know my friend, Chubbs, know what I mean when I say there were times I thought "omg if Chubbs were here he'd be killing someone by now"  We have decided we will avoid opening nights around here from now on.

 

2 comments:

  1. I've been in similar situations and although I get mad, hearing things like "WHOA! What tha fahhhck?" in a Fozzy Bear accent would definitely make it hard to not LOL =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only time i was every in a situation where the chatter was more amusing that annoying was when I went to see Wanted. There was this row of black people behind us (i point out their race because they were doing the stereotypical thing) where when something dramatic would happen they would get really in to it and be like "daaammnnn" or "WHOAAA HAHAHAHA" It actually got me going a little and got me more into the movie... i think i started joining in with them by the end hahahahah But the key is... it was fitting for that kind of movie....

    ReplyDelete